Wednesday, October 04, 2006

JK1 Business Update

I’m still trying to get my business going. It’s a struggle sometimes, but I’m not even considering giving up. I’m convinced I can make this work. I’m convinced this is the route for me.

My main hurdle right now is that, since Sacramento is a state government town, I need to focus on state government contracts (if I lived in Detroit, it would be auto industry contracts). I have nearly 30 years experience in the Information Technology (IT) field, but not very much experience in the state government IT world. Many state workers (including those who do the contracting) are risk-averse so they don’t want to take a chance with a new guy. Once I get past this hurdle I believe projects will go great.

I am getting some projects. Earlier this week I facilitated a meeting between two groups who need to work together but had some conflicts they needed to resolve, so they weren’t working together well at all (I guess the meeting they had before they called me in was really tense). I was able to bring them together, help them vent their frustrations, help them find common goals, and we were able to find a way to make a 30% improvement in their process of doing business. It’s tense and exhausting, but it is very rewarding and great fun.

Love,
.jk.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire you for following your heart, even if it's difficult. That's noble. Your big break will come.

October 09, 2006 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home